Water-repellent sand: The rising demand for mineral sealing systems in recent years has motivated us to develop an additive with the help of which we can make the raw material, sand, hydrophobic, without the use of chemical solvents. With cumbersome development work, we have succeeded in producing water as a carrier (solvent) for our new product, the FSS impregnating fluid, FSS-H840-100 (additive).
In our special method, not only is the surface of the sand grains wetted, which could get washed off and, in most cases, is not durable. With the help of our additive, we permanently modify the molecular structure (surface property) of the sand grains.
Since the original raw material does not change by more than 1% the hydrophobic sand is not a construction material but must continue to be classified as a raw material.
The sand is not harmful for the health of human beings, animals or nature (e.g. ground water).
Areas of Application
The areas of application of the FSS hydrophobic sand as a mineral sealant or as filler are very diverse and versatile. The hydrophobic sand is used:
- in the construction industry (underground construction/ garden building and landscaping)
- in industrial and network construction
- in mining and tunnel construction
- in landfill construction and dyke building
- in pipeline and road construction
The FSS hydrophobic sand is used and applied for:
- Creation of vertical self-sealing barrier layers (flood protection, refurbishment and new constructions)
- Creation of horizontal self-sealing barrier layers (landfills, retention reservoirs)
- Filler material for jacketing residue containers (landfilling and permanent storage or disposal sites)
- Filler material insensitive to temperature for jacketing supply media (protection against moisture, fire and ice)
- Blocking for 80% water savings in landscaping and agricultural construction (hot and dry regions)
- Substructure for protecting roots (minimising damage in pathways or roadways)
The basis of the water-repellent sand is crushed sedimentary rock (sand). Sand is a natural raw material in its original property.
Extracts from the technical data sheet:
The material classification of the FSS hydrophobic sand according to Ordinance (EC) No. 1272/2008; the hydrophobic sand is not classified in accordance with the CLP Ordinance.
- No hazardous constituents
- Solid content 100.0%
- SiO2– content > 96%
- Resistant to water pressure up to 5 bar
- pH neutral
- Boiling point; > 2,200°C
- Melting point > 1,700°C
- Not spontaneously inflammable and non-explosive
- Density at 20°C = 2.2 - 2.6 hPa
- Bulk density at 20°C = 1400 kg/ m³
- Solvent content = 0 %
Mixing only by authorised and certified FSS companies
- External supervision
- Capable of being used as bulk material and being pumped
- 20 kg sack
- 1,000 kg BIG-BAG
- 1,400 KG BIG BAG (1 cu. m.)
- Loose or in a silo (refill option)
Mobile mixing systems and sand pumps for large construction sites as well as other special machines on request.